Mix the following well and serve in a shallow dish, a coffee jar lid will do. Then feed two 3 tablespoonful portions at dawn and dusk:
- 1 tin of dog food; Elaine currently recommends Sainsbury’s Tripe & Chicken dog food or Butchers Tripe & Chicken dog food. Or Spike’s Meaty Feast. Whiskas changed their recipe and is not longer palatable to poorly hedgehogs.
- 1 small cup of bran, available from health food shops, or a Weetabix.
- 1 small cup of dried meal worms or Haith’s Prosecto Bird Food, available from haiths.com
If possible add:
- 1 level teaspoon of SA37 vitamin supplement, available from pet shops or petmeds.co.uk. If SA37 is not available use 2 drops of Abidec, available from the chemist, vets or petmeds.co.uk
- 1 level teaspoon of Sterilised Bone Meal, available from pet shops.
- 1 level teaspoon of Can-addase Enzyme Supplement, available from vets.
Hedgehogs also enjoy the following as a snack:
- Peanuts, not salted or roasted, these must be in small pieces so granulated/granular/chopped
- Chicken leftovers but leave the bones in
Do NOT feed:
- Fish flavoured cat/dog food