Caring for Hedgehog Orphans
If you accidentally disturb a mother with young do not handle the babies as she will abandon or kill them if they smell of humans.
Replace their cover gently and carefully with a stick and keep their whereabouts a treasured secret between you and a thankful mum.
If you do find an abandoned baby or orphan squeaking for help he needs the following:
- protection from flies
- a feed mix of ⅔ goats milk and ⅓ goat colostrum, from a goat farm or breeder
- if you cannot get to a goat farm then use Esbilac, which is a puppy weaning formula and can be purchased from petmeds.co.uk or other online shops
- drip 1 to 2 ml. slowly from a syringe at 2 hourly intervals
- stimulation to urinate after each feed. The mother would do this by licking the baby’s genitals. You can do it with a damp tissue or cotton bud.
- Constant warmth is essential for his survival.
Further information and advice is available on request. If in doubt please telephone Hedgehog Care or a local vet.